Your Quick Guide to Junk Journaling

November 03, 2021


I have been exploring lots of journaling methods this year, one of them is junk journaling. Junk Journals are made from stuff that might be ended up in your trash bin such as product boxes, mail envelopes, kraft paper pouches and the like. The possibilities are endless with junk journaling, it is fully customizable with what you like. There are no rules! 

I started making my own junk journals at the premise of my home, scouting for old encylopedia books, books that are no longer in use, papers that are tanned naturally, and all sorts of rubbish. Slowly, I have accumulated scrapbooking papers that are enough to supply me in making journals. For my journal covers, I prefer to look for food product boxes. I cover them with construction paper to make it sturdier. The pages of a junk journal can be a mixture of everything -- scrapbooking papers, plain paper, coffee or tea-dyed papers or even handmade papers! There is no right or wrong with junk journaling. Papers are then combined forming them into signatures. These signatures are then binded to the journal cover using a needle and thread. I like to measure my spine first and see if it's divisible by 3s or 4s to ensure even distribution of the signature. 

Charms are also considered as fun add-ons to your junk journal. I like my charms outside my journal, in the spine. 

The downside of junk journaling is that it requires time and effort to make one. So if you are not willing to do it, then worry no more as there are lots of junk journal makers that sells their creations online from around the globe! Since junk journals are one of a kind, and often made using vintage pieces, whether that be papers, charms, or ephemeras, junk journals can cost around 15$ - 100$ USD based on what I saw on online selling platforms like Etsy.

What I like about junk journaling is that I am able to add things that I don't normally add on my journals because it might get bulky. With junk journaling, the bulkier, the better! Since I use scrapbooking paper on my journals, I do not journal chronologically. I pick whatever page I like the most to journal on.


Sharing to you some pages from my first junk journal I have completed! I got a number sticker set last June and I wanted to use the stickers in one journal. So I decided to make a junk journal for the month of July! Throughout July, I journal every single day in this journal. Here are some of my entries!


Prior to my junk journal for july, I made myself my Christmas Junk Journal for this year! I know! Christmas back in June!! I got so excited when my Christmas themed scrapbook papers arrived that I did not hesitate doing one right away. I loveee the cover and the journal size, but there are lots of things that aren't quite perfect yet so I am keeping this one instead of selling it. (I'll be selling Christmas themed junk journals this November! Stay tuned!!)



Thank you for dropping by!












 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Add comment

Subscribe